Home > gear talk, kyoto > Six hours on Kyoto

Six hours on Kyoto

November 18, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments
Click here for todays photos

Click here for todays photos

About a week and a half ago, I was in Kyoto to do some location shooting for Cool Japan.  It was a quick one-day trip, so there was not really any time for me to enjoy the sights, but I didn’t let that stop me from trying to capture some light while I was there.

The camera dejure was the Leica M9 with a Hexanon 35mm f2 UC lens.  Now that I am shooting with a full frame rangefinder, I am starting to really understand why when people talk about getting by with just one lens the 35mm focal length gets so many votes.  It’s a very versatile angle of view, and even with a largish aperture of 2.0, the lens itself remains quite compact.

That’s not to say I would not have taken a 50mm and 28mm with me if I had been there for a couple of days, but after shooting with the 35mm and only the 35mm I can see how it could become my default go-to lens when travelling.  Particularly when you factor in the amount of cropping that is possible with the super sharp 18 megapixels that the Leica M9 generates.

It was strange to be in Kyoto for such a short period of time, but I didn’t feel too bad about it since the fall leaf color had just started to give a hint of the explosion of color that is to come in the next couple of weeks.

To catch this veritable riot fo color, I’m planning on spending a good three or four days there at the start of December.

Anyone interested in having a couple of beers with me in Kyoto in early December?  Drop me a line and we’ll sort something out.

Categories: gear talk, kyoto Tags: , , ,
  1. November 19, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Very nice indeed..would look great as a photo painting. You can contact me if interested in a collaboration with painting artists for your clients’ photos…

2. Sandi Chicowlas
    November 27, 2010 at 2:51 am

We would like to invite you and your business, Fine Art Photography by Jeff Laitila, to participate in our upcoming annual Bazaar. It will be held January 29 (9am -5pm) and January 30 (9am – 4pm), in the Nile C. Kinnick Gym and Student Forum on Yokosuka Naval Base. Set-up will begin late in the afternoon of Friday, January 28.

The Kinnick Boosters are to receive 12% of all sales.

Please reply by email if you would like to participate as a vendor in this event, and we will send further details. We anxiously anticipate your correspondence and look forward to your participation.

Respectfully,
    President, Kinnick Boosters
    Nile C. Kinnick High School, Yokosuka, Japan

November 30, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I wish I could join you. I was in Noda in Chiba the first of this nmonth. I met someone I had been internet friends for a few years. Experienced my first earthquake, though it was very small.

• February 10, 2012 at 9:40 am

NO to Kyoto exineston, tomorrow…?The coffee just keeps tastin’ better & better…what a day!

• July 4, 2012 at 5:39 pm

It’s little bit of michel jackson also. so be careull ur became an best dancer in the world.

4. J.
    January 8, 2011 at 9:53 am

Jeff,
    I think I saw that Cool Japan episode today (and it was the first time I saw you on TV). So the real reason to go to Kyoto was to listen to an explanation about underwear.

5. May 12, 2011 at 7:23 am

Thanks for sharing. That is a nice article.

6. December 17, 2013 at 12:12 am

You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the article you
    write. The arena hopes for more passionate writers such as you who
    are not afraid to say how they believe. Always go after your heart.

7. June 7, 2014 at 6:05 pm

When someone writes an paragraph he/she retains the thought of a user in his/her brain that
    how a user can understand it. Thus that’s why this article is great.
    Thanks!