Home > gear talk, yokosuka > It’s yesterday once more

It’s yesterday once more

Click HERE for todays images

Yesterday I decided to do a photo-walk around Yokosuka.  Partially to enjoy the out-of-doors after being kept in from the previous days typhoon, and also to put some of my older rangefinder lenses through their paces with the M9.  I was also inspired by some vintage images of Yokosuka that I was recently browsing on Flickr.   So I thought it would be an interesting exercise to see if I could reproduce something with a similar look.

My two lenses for the day were the Canon ltm 28mm f2.8, and Canon ltm 50mm f1.2.  And as you can see, they are not the most technically perfect of lenses out there.  They are soft in the corners, and color fringing is readily apparent.  But I imaged that they would fit the bill for the type of images I was trying to create.

I’ve yet to devote the resources to buy a stable full of Leica lenses, but of the more modern glass that I do have (Konica, and Voigtlander) all perform to a much higher technical standard than the older Canon Leica thread mount lenses that I used for this exercise.

But sometimes the best tool for the job is not the best tool that you have, but rather the best tool for THAT SPECIFIC job.  So what lenses would be better to reproduce the look from 40 years ago than some lenses that were 40+ years old?  And truth be told, they did perform admirably, with regards to both sharpness and resolution when stopped down.

The shots themselves are nothing special. In most cases I tried to keep to subjects that were independent of time.  And in honor of the old glass I was using (1950’s to 1960’s vintage) I decided to process them using a “yesteryear” type of filter in Lightroom.  This gave them a yellow’ish washed-out look, common to old film images.  Right out of the camera the images have a much more natural look, as would be expected from the M9.  But I thought this treatment would better convey my idea.

Was it a success?  I have no idea.

I like the effect, but I have no idea what others may think about it.

If you do have some thoughts about it, please take a minute and jot down your thoughts in a comment.

Categories: gear talk, yokosuka Tags: , , , , , , ,
  1. November 2, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Hey Jeff,

great idea to use some old lenses on your hi-tech camera to get that vintage look. I have yet to get one of those adaptors to use my manual Olympus-OM or Hasselblad lenses on my 5D MK II.

I think that the color shift worked especially well on images 1, 5 and 10. It is not that easy to use an action in LightRoom and get consisten results as the WB and tonal starting values for each digital image are different in the beginning. I’m always having a hard time with that.

Cheers,
    Marco

2. November 8, 2010 at 12:38 pm

If you need article spinning and submission service, backlinks zone, advanced senuke blast, high pr profile links, article spinning, article submission

just check high pr profile links

3. January 5, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Hello, I had been researching the net & I discovered your web site. Maintain the outstanding work.

4. February 25, 2011 at 9:13 am

some really nice and utilitarian info on this site, also I believe the design has excellent features.

5. April 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm

It is perfect time to make some plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I wish to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Maybe you could write next articles referring to this article. I desire to read more things about it!

6. May 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

Thanks for sharing. That is a nice article.

7. May 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm

manipulation resistant Waterproof Floor Safe floor safe installation

8. July 15, 2011 at 9:21 am

Be careful when consuming way too much beer because it can end up in alcoholism. Ofcourse if you’re an enjoyer of life just like i am then you may not care!

9. July 20, 2011 at 4:16 pm

I have been following your blog for a few months now and thought I had better say hello..

10. July 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Thanks so much for providing individuals with an extremely terrific possiblity to read from this blog. It’s usually so kind and also full of a great time for me personally and my office colleagues to search your site nearly 3 times weekly to read through the newest tips you have got. Of course, I’m so at all times pleased considering the very good knowledge you serve. Selected 4 areas in this posting are truly the finest we have ever had.

11. November 18, 2011 at 4:24 pm

hosting
    Wyszukujesz łatwego i korzystnego sposobu, by podnieść przychody własnej jednostki biznesowej? Posiadam przeto dla Ciebie inteligentne podejście. Reklama. Kumam, miało być oszczędnie, ale dostarczam Ci gwarancję, że będzie. Najłatwiejszą i najbardziej wszechogarniającą, jednakże w tym samym czasie najbardziej funkcjonalną postacią reklamy jest strona WWW. W tym momencie, jeśli Twojej jednostki biznesowej nie ma w Necie to możesz zapomnieć o gigantycznych profitach. Każdy wypatruje uprzednio w sieci światowej, dopiero dalej opcjonalnie sięga po ogłoszenia w gazecie, czy podpytuje znajomych. Zajrzyjmy prawdzie w oczy, strona jest w istocie pomocna. Jeśliby nie jesteś otrzaskany w kwestiach domen i Internetu nie martw się. Nasza jednostka biznesowa wstała tym samym szczególnie dla Ciebie. Oferujemy usługi z odcinka hosting od zainicjowania do finału. Nasi fachmani odpowiedzą na Twoje wszelakie spytania i wspomogą dopasować w największym stopniu odpowiednią propozycję dla Ciebie. Dzięki nam zdołasz wzmóc dochody swojej jednostki biznesowej przy w zasadzie nikłym nakładzie pieniężnym. Jakże? Z racji usługi hosting. Zapoznasz się w tym miejscu z zupełną ofertą na hosting i wynajdziesz dane do kontaktu z nami. Zobacz w jaki sposób Internet może Cię wspomóc.

12. January 5, 2012 at 7:20 am

Hiya, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and web and this is actually annoying. A good site with exciting content, this is what I need. Thanks for keeping this web-site, I will be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.

13. July 15, 2014 at 2:48 am

It’s hard to find your website in google. I found it on 11
    spot, you should build quality backlinks , it will help you to rank to google top 10.
    I know how to help you, just type in google – k2 seo
    tricks

14. August 29, 2014 at 3:32 am

I read a lot of interesting content here.
    Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know
    how to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates unique, SEO friendly
    posts in seconds, just type in google – laranitas free content source

15. September 15, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Wonderful blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News.
    Do you have any tips on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
    I’ve been trying for a while but I never seem to get there!
    Many thanks