Home > Festivals > Tokyo Marathon 2010

Tokyo Marathon 2010

February 27, 2010 Leave a comment Go to comments
click here for todays photos

click here for todays photos

Tomorrow I will be running the Tokyo Marathon.

The longest race I have previously run is a half marathon, but thanks to  a 12-week marathon training plan that I found on the net I feel I am absolutely ready for it.  I was a bit concerned when I got sick during the first week of the schedule and had to drop most of that weeks runs, but it turned out to not really have a negative impacts on me.

Here is the plan that I followed:

marathon training plan

If you are interested in getting a ground level view of what the course entails, just check out the following link: http://www.tokyo42195.org/movie2010/movie.html

During training, my longest run was 35K, so I have not yet run a full marathon distance.  Although when I did that run I felt like I had plenty left in my tank and could have stretched it out for the full 42.2K if I needed to.

I’m planning on taking a Ricoh GR Digital with me so I can take pictures during the race.  The forecast is calling for a 90% chance of rain, so that could kill my plans to take pictures as I don’t want to kill my camera.

Wish me luck!

Categories: Festivals
  1. Tregix
    February 27, 2010 at 12:22 pm

It must be amazing to run in the middle to Tokyo for 42km. Good luck.

Tregix.

2. mcdenges
    February 27, 2010 at 3:13 pm

Good luck for tomorrow, Jeff!

3. February 27, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Good luck Jeff! If the course is the same as when I ran it a few years back (I ran the inaugural one), you’ll have a blast for the first 20ish miles…great crowds, typical Japanese fun through the streets of Tokyo. Then you start crossing the bridges to Odaiba. It gets very lonely, very windy, and very miserable, but just remember, you’re almost done at that point, so push through it!! Can’t wait to read the race report.
    Gambatte!

4. February 27, 2010 at 9:11 pm

It’s cold, windy, and raining.

This is going to build some character.

5. Ginny
    February 27, 2010 at 11:33 pm

Good Luck with your run! Can’t wait to see your pics.

6. J.
    February 28, 2010 at 8:24 am

And? How did it go? The weather did not start nice but improved during the day. And luckily you didn’t get washed away by a tsunami…..

7. AP
    March 2, 2010 at 9:46 am

Jeff, I was there running it as well and it was a fun and miserable experience. I actually saw that your were running when I looked in the runners list and saw your name not far from mine – your bib number was a few off from mine. I thought I recognized that name and went to my flickr contacts and saw it was you. I’m glad I did it but I don’t know if I’d do it again. How are you feeling now?

8. March 4, 2010 at 3:54 am

AP,

Cool! Wish I would have bumped into you at the race.

9. March 4, 2010 at 3:54 am

I’m pretty much feeling normal now. I think I’ll do a 10-15k run after work tonight.

10. March 11, 2010 at 9:36 am

I run Tokyo Marathon 2010 it was a miserable day, raining all the time, I met a Japanese friend 37 year old Lady from Tokyo, works at Tokyo Fish market, we met at Guinz station on the way to Shinjuku, we were chatting and together until the race started, exchanged email address and phone number, but I lost her contact details in the miserable weather, can anyone help to find her please ? It was a miserable day, but Tokyo is beautiful, it was my second time in Tokyo, I did 2008 Tokyo Marathon 2 I have done London Marathon 8 times. I have been running for the last 20 years, I run until I die, it is a great sport. Will be greatful if anyone can get me in touch with Kihara from Tokyo Fish Market. Many thanks Yasin Aziz

11. March 11, 2010 at 10:29 am

Kihara from Tokyo fish Market, sorry I lost your phone and eamil address during the race, please contact me to let me know how u were getting on in your run in Tokyo Marathon, Thanks Yasin Aziz London

12. April 1, 2010 at 6:07 am

thanks for sharing nice info

13. May 30, 2014 at 6:47 am

It’s difficult to find knowledgeable people in this particular subject, but you
    seem like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks