Home > cool, technology > Razor Phone

Razor Phone

Click Here for todays photos.

I have always been amazed at the features that have been added to cell phones over the years.

You have GPS navigation, electronic money, pedometers, video and still cameras, mp3 players, mp4 players, calendars,…   yes, the list seems endless.  And then with the introduction of the iPhone things got even more interesting and it seemed the days of the famous Star Trek communicator had finally come true.

But just when I thought they could not cram any more useful features into a cellphone, here comes the Razor Phone.

No, not  This Razor, I’m talkng about a true  Razor Phone, as in a cellphone with a built in electric shaver.

Be still my beating heart!

As strange as this concept first seems, I can see this being pretty popular with the salaryman set here in Japan.  It will be great for those office workers that get their five-o’clock shadow at 1 in the afternoon, or those salarymen that want to spruce themselves up before a last minute late in the day meeting.

I’m just not sure if it has a vibrate mode.

My guess is no.

Because if it did it might be easy to mistakenly (and quite literally) jump out of your pants if the thing started vibrating while you had it in one of your front pockets.  Nothing like the threat of imminent (re)circumsize by Razor Phone to get the heart going.

It looks like I will be taking part in another episode of Cool Japan sometime soon.  I’ll keep  you all posted as things firm up.

Categories: cool, technology
  1. Kevin Hu
    April 21, 2009 at 1:08 pm

HELLO JEFF. This time I am FIRST one.

2. C
    April 21, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Dude your pictures are awesome….like always. how do you do it? ive been following this site since 2003 and ive been in Japan since then and i am always amazed with your work. stunning as always. keep up the work.

3. Jeannette
    April 21, 2009 at 9:44 pm

Hmm.. That is interesting.. But, what about dealing with it going through the airport security that can consider as a weapon?

4. Adam
    April 22, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Jeff! Whats up with all the old pictures? Only one newish one? The older ones are nice, but get out there and take some new stuff! Those others are 5 years old!

• February 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm

curhch113 on May 18, 2011 why have you mixed the view version and the bad camera version?

• February 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

eylyYy apjvnhfpsvji

5. J.
    April 24, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Jeff,

you forgot to mention the most obvious one feature on Japanese mobile phones: TV reception!
    I recently discovered that I’m the only one among my colleagues who does not have 1-seg TV on his keitai. Embarrassing.

J.

6. April 29, 2009 at 8:16 pm

Jeannette, if even nail clippers are considered as dangerous weapons, then the owner of this phone would be executed on the spot!

7. April 29, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Heheh, the method of shaving is probably to set the fone to vibrate and then call yourself, heheh

8. May 16, 2009 at 5:52 am

Wow, this is a godsend for all us hairy gaijin living in Japan.

9. September 7, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Thank you for every other fantastic article.
    Where else could anybody get that type of information in such
    a perfect approach of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m at the search for such
    info.

10. November 19, 2014 at 2:38 am

Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins
    to assist with Search Engine Optimization? I’m trying
    to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good
    success. If you know of any please share. Thank you!