Home > gear talk, lists > A day in the life

A day in the life

February 17, 2009 Leave a comment Go to comments

All of todays photos were shot on 15 February, ranging from very early (past midnight) to very late (right before midnight).

***CLICK HERE for todays photos***

I had ended Saturday night after attending a live event in Yokosuka where some friends were playing some music at a bar called Moai & Capy, located pretty clsoe to Shioiri station.  Then on Sunday I spent the day up in Nakano shooting pictures with a photo club I belong to.

The D700 continues to amaze me.  The low light shooting at Moai & Capy was an absolute breeze with the incredible autofocus and high ISO capability it has.  The main lens I used was the 50mm f1.4G which oerfomred admirably.  ON Sunday the lens of choice was a Nikkor 20mm f2.8D that I picked up used at Fujiya Camera in nakano, right before the photo club met up to start shooting.

The theme for the days shooting was “Unusual Perspectives”, thus the large amount of odd angles for most of todays shots.  I really enjoy the photo club as it places some structure on the shooting, and depending on the theme we are using, it can really stretch you and make you think.

I was woken up this morning by a mild earthquake.  Not enough to really worry about, but enough to remind me that I have not yet set up an earthquake disaster kit.   The contents of a typical kit include things that can get me through the first few days of an emergency in the event of THE BIG ONE and I have the good fortune to live through it.

So now that I am thinking about it, I guess I’d better get around to building my own kit.

I think I will add the following to it, and keep it in a  handy place:

• Water – 5 gallons (enough for 5-days)
  • Food– ready to eat or requiring minimal water (MREs work great for this, and have the shelf life of a brick)
  • Manual can opener and other cooking supplies
  • Plates, utensils and other feeding supplies
  • First Aid kit & instructions
  • A copy of important documents & phone numbers
  • Warm clothes, rain gear, sturdy footwear
  • Heavy work gloves
  • Camera (no problem for me there…) and plenty of charged batteries and empty memory cards
  • Unscented liquid household bleach and an eyedropper for water purification
  • Personal hygiene items including toilet paper, tooth brush and paste, hand sanitizer and soap
  • Plastic sheeting, duct tape and utility knife for covering broken windows
  • Tools such as a crowbar, hammer & nails, staple gun, adjustable wrench and bungee cords.
  • Blanket and/or sleeping bag
  • Large heavy duty plastic bags and a plastic bucket for waste and sanitation
  • Beer (preferably Strohs as it is the only beer I know that taste just as bad cold as it does warm)
  • Flashlight (hand crank type)
  • Radio – hand crank or battery operated
  • Whistle
  • Pocket knife
  • Emergency cash in small denominations
  • Permanent marker, paper and MORE duct tape  (You can never have enough duct tape)
  • List of emergency points-of -contact phone numbers
  • Extra prescription eye glasses
  • A few good (long) books

I think that should about do it.

Can anyone think of anything I forgot?

Categories: gear talk, lists
  1. February 17, 2009 at 12:42 pm

How about rubbers? It sounds odd, but you’ll be amazed what they can be used for! Water sacks for one.protection against dust (yep that’s why the army wears them on the barrel of their weapon).
    As for camera’s why not a hand-cracked one ^_^
    More seriously, you may want to consider good’ol film.
    Hand ax and hunting knife should also be part of a basic survival kit.
    Some rope (hemp or nylon), both for contruction purposes (thin rope) and more heavy duty stuff (eg when you need to climb out of your window)

And most importantly: Toilet paper! never leave home without the stuff!

2. February 17, 2009 at 3:44 pm

A crossbow, fishing pole and dynamite. Let’s you be self-sufficient by hunting your own food or convincing people who have food to give you some… 😉

3. February 17, 2009 at 3:58 pm

something to purify the water might be a good idea unless you thoroughly boil it and and somehow decontaminate the containers it is stored in, it could “go bad.”

Of course you could replace it once a month but that’s a pain in the ass.

And adding on to the film comments above, perhaps a camera that does not require a battery to take pictures (one that just uses it for the light meter.) My old Minolta XD-11 and Himatic9 both fit that bill.

4. Phil
    February 17, 2009 at 4:10 pm

With what Jeff D said about purifying water, you should have some matches (waterproof) or a lighter with extra fluid, and a little camping stove and extra fuel or Sterno to boil the water.

Also I think you need more duct tape, it’s the handyman’s tool. ‘Silence is Golden, Duct Tape is Silver’.

5. Robert, Retired
    February 18, 2009 at 1:40 am

Gear required to do work after an earthquake includes a good fitting pair of pull on boots, and stow a pair of good socks in the boots.

6. Pete
    February 18, 2009 at 3:20 am

Jeff, how about sticking some of those “glow sticks” (100 yen store) in your disaster kit. One thing that I had neglected to do is to learn how to use NTT’s 171 service which is voice bulletin board for use in an emergency to communicate with family members if you can’t get through http://www.ntt-east.co.jp/saigai_e/voice171/index.html. Also, one never knows what time of the month the earthquake will strike so some sanitary items for that special person might be a good idea.

7. J.
    February 18, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Rubbers came to mind, just as ksporry already mentioned.
    The backpack survival kit I have under my desk at work (provided by the company) contains a helmet. Could be very useful in case you are surrounded by high buildings with broken windows and other sharp and/or pointy objects which are subject to gravity.

J.

8. February 19, 2009 at 7:16 am

lol an idea for a book is moby dick and or some language book to help you learn a language (in case your rescuer doesnt speak either english or japanese/ what ever language you dont know better to be prepared) 😛

9. Rob
    February 19, 2009 at 7:14 pm

I’m not usually a person that would take the time to reply on a blog but that post was very well done.

Bob Doyle
    Shelf Companies Inc

10. March 9, 2009 at 3:43 am

I was about 20km away from the big 7.0 quake on the border of Miyagi/Iwate last June. It was rather scary. Luckily there wasn’t too much damage in my town, but the phones were out for several hours and a neighboring mountain village was taken over by JDF as a rescue base.

You should have a subset of supplies compact and light enough that you can easily grab and carry it with one hand. If the quake is that bad you’ll be evacuated, and you need to grab and go. The above list is pretty good, but separate it out into critical and useful sets. Put the critical stuff in a bag or knapsack with a pullstring that you could theoretically use to retrieve it. Copies of identification should go in there, along with flashlight, gloves, basic food for a day or two, first aid kit, and maybe max 4 liters of water (aside from the 20 you already have); remember a pullaway kit needs to be light enough that if you break an arm you’ll still be able to lift it.

One modification, use iodine tablets instead of bleach. They are much easier to use safely.

In a big quake, your bookcases and tall furniture WILL fall over if you haven’t secured them properly. Heavy items WILL “walk” out of high shelves, open drawers and doors, and smash themselves on the floor, and you if you’re underneath them. Avoid storing heavy items up high, and secure your tall furniture with L clamps and screws– especially bedroom furniture. Ask at your local hardware store, they’ll know what you’re talking about.

Your prefecture or city publishes an earthquake preparedness guide. Almost all are available in English (or at least Engrish) these days. Read it and take it to heart.

11. November 12, 2009 at 6:42 pm

Good stuff, bookmarked for further reading.