Home > gear talk > Rollei 40mm f2.3 XF 35 lens, custom mounted for Leica

Rollei 40mm f2.3 XF 35 lens, custom mounted for Leica

December 21, 2011 Leave a comment Go to comments

I was in a  small used camera shop in Shinjuku a few weeks ago week when I noticed an odd looking little lens for sale.  It was a 40mm f2.3 lens from a Rollei 35XF that had been modified for use on a Leica l39 screw mount camera.  The modification was done by MS OPtical, the same maker of the famous Perar Super Triplet 35mm f3.5. Having the necessary adapter ring with me that would allow me to mount it to my Leica M9 I decided to spring for it and pay the 50,000 Yen to see what kind of images it would produce.

Here are some images both of the lens, as wella s taken with it on an M9:

From what I can see, this lens is a rather decent performer.  Compact, very well made, and since it is so rare, pretty fun to shoot with.  The 40mm focal length means that accurate framing will take some practice since I don’t have a 40mm viewfinder, but I can live with that.  Quite worth the price of entry. :)

About these ads
Categories: gear talk Tags: , , , , , ,
  1. Simon
    December 22, 2011 at 2:13 am

Really interesting, thanks for sharing the photographs!

2. Kahlen
    December 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I just came across your page while I was looking for places that sell cheap 2nd hand camera. I was wondering if you can help me? I’m currently staying in Yokosuka and idk any places nearby other than the Bookoff. I’m looking for point and shoot cameras like lumix or vintage, classic-style. Any suggestions? I’d really appreciate it. Thank you and happy holidays :)

3. December 28, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Jeff,

Which WP plugin are you using for the slideshow? I like it.

Thanks.

Tregix.

4. December 29, 2011 at 1:33 am

Kahlen, the best paces I have found for used camera gear are in Tokyo: http://www.mapcamera.com and http://www.fujiya-camera.co.jp

Tregix: It’s actually built in to WordPress, so no plugin required.

5. June 21, 2012 at 10:12 pm

sensational photos… thanks for sharing those photos… I love this photos… Great done thanks again….

6. ka1ssr
    July 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Hey Jeff! You okay? The page hasn’t been updated in a while.

Signed,

Concerned in New Hampshire

7. July 28, 2012 at 8:39 pm

really miss your stuff. hope youll be writing soon again. still have one of your picture on my wall. from the times when you made the lottery. hope you are fine.

8. Henry
    October 9, 2012 at 3:24 am

just dropping by! been reading your stuff for your images and your insight since 2003 :) hope all is well with you and your friends/family.

9. Brian
    November 29, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I did a quick Google search and can confirm Jeff is alive and well based on his facebook page – I can understand prioritizing real life over keeping up this blog, but if you’re reading this, thanks Jeff for all the pictures you shared here over the years. I have good memories of Kyoto in the fall and trips to Japan, and while it’ll be years before I can go back, blogs like this help get my Japan fix and learn a lot about photography at the same time (although I’m pretty sure I could take pictures for years and not be at Jeff’s level). Thanks!

10. November 6, 2013 at 6:42 am

Hello mates, pleasant paragraph and pleasant arguments commented here, I am actually enjoying by these.

11. December 17, 2013 at 6:46 am

Uѕually I don’t read post оn blogs, but I wish to say that this write-up very forcеԁ me to try and do so!
    Your writing taste has been amazed me. Thank you, quite great post.

12. March 21, 2014 at 12:15 pm

Hi, Neat post. There’s a problem together with your web site in internet explorer, might test this?

IE nonetheless is the marketplace leader and a big
    part of other folks will miss your great writing because of this problem.

13. April 16, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Thiis company probably wastes 100s of thousands,
    if your $25,000 fee is a problem, then someeone is not playing nice.
    Honest brief artichle explains Uniqe fresh stuff surrounding
    that none is bringing up. “But friends,” Limbaugh continued,
    “he only agreed to be acting.

14. May 6, 2014 at 10:35 am

While your cheating heart might tell for you, the
    person thzt you experienced probably have some other tale to tell.
    Despite the overall gamke of a particular genre, players
    who prefer other designs also love playing this game.
    Sometimes auras might have expenses assdociated with activation or upkeep.