Home > wanderings > Enoshima, on a clear day.

Enoshima, on a clear day.

Click here for todays images

I spent last Saturday in Enoshima.

I’ve been there many times, but it had been at least 6-7 years since I had actually made the journey to the backside of the island where it directly faces the wide open pacific.   Not a whole lot had changed, save for the much improved pedestrian path up above the sea scoured shelf that fronts the ocean, as well as a few more extra banisters full of locks up at lovers point.

It had not been my idea to spend the day there, but a couple of friends of mine (Ian and Liis) were going to be there and had asked if I was interested in coming.  As a typhoon had just recently ripped past Kanagawa, I knew the weather was going to be good.  But I was not at all prepared for just how clear it was going to be.

Not only could you get a great view of Mt Fuji, but all the coastline between Enoshima and the rolling hills near Odawara were clear and sharp in the relatively dry air.   All the way from Enoshima to Odawara you could see the beach give way to green, city beyond that, and more green hills even further on.

It was also nice to be able to follow Liis as she took us on a round about (long-cut) that bypassed the majority of the crowds and also afforded me to explore a (new-for-me) shrine.

We spent a good hour or so enjoying the view from the back side of the island, remarking on the stupendous number of dragonflies buzzing about.  (I’ve never seen so many in one place in my entire life)  It was an excellent day, spent with excellent friends.

We capped off the day by spending a few hours in one of the varied beach bars strung out along Enoshima beach.  Our entertainment being cold beer, cheap food, girls in skimpy bikinis, and the obligatory passed out young Japanese guy being harassed by his “friends”.

Not a bad day at all.  Definitely one to remember.

My gear for the day:

• Leica M9
  • Carl Zeiss 35mm f2 ZM
  • Cosina Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 UWH
  • Leica Summitar 50mm f2
About these ads
Categories: wanderings Tags: ,
    July 25, 2011 at 12:13 pm | #1

No photos of girls in bikinis?

2. Marco
    July 25, 2011 at 12:41 pm | #2

I was prepared for a Fuji X100 gear talk post ;-)

3. July 26, 2011 at 4:08 am | #3

David: I’m not too keen on getting questioned by the police, so I left the telephoto zoom at home. :)

Marco: Not to worry, I’m planning on sharing my thoughts regarding the X100 once I get a bit more time shooting with it. It is a great camera, but not perfect. But then again, I don’t think a perfect camera exists! At least let’s hope not, because that would take all of the fun out of sampling all the different gear. :)

4. Marco
    July 27, 2011 at 11:25 am | #4

Looking forward to your X100 post.

Yeah, a perfect camera would be boring, but the AF on the X100 could be a bit more perfect for my taste ;-)

5. July 28, 2011 at 12:53 pm | #5

Have you had experience with a large lens attracting unwanted attention?

6. July 29, 2011 at 4:01 am | #6

Looks like a glorious day Jeff! Sun and beach, haven’t seen that for a while! (plenty of sun in Shanghai, but also plenty humidity….).
    As for telezooms, if Jeffs tele is the same as mine (70-200 f2.8 IS L USM), then, well, it’s kinda hard not to get noticed…

7. Al Mc.
    August 1, 2011 at 10:25 pm | #7

Good to see you on the last Cool Japan episode discussing how Japan dealt with the disaster. Great pics as well!

8. October 18, 2011 at 2:45 pm | #8

Great blog visiting you from Turkey
    I love Japan so much
    welcome too sis

9. handayani
    July 3, 2013 at 2:02 am | #9

hi, first visit .. hallo I’m from Indonesia ^ ^ glad to see this blog interesting and not boring .. Greetings ya .. thanks in advance

10. February 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm | #10

The thing about the blogging business is that your potential customers can be easily distracted by
    so many others things they find online. I always try to take
    the time to check out your blog and make a comment if you take the time
    to comment on my blog.

11. March 15, 2014 at 1:13 pm | #11

Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could
    add to my blog that automatically tweet my newest twitter
    updates. I’ve been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was hoping maybe you
    would have some experience with something like this.
    Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy reading your blog
    and I look forward to your new updates.